Thursday, August 16, 2012

This is my horse, Charface. I got her as an early birthday present (she was free, but my parents still found her and went to get her with me--it counts) and have since been keeping her at a stable near my house.

As a kid, I ALWAYS wanted a horse. It was the top of my Christmas and birthday list every year since I can remember. Resources when I was younger didn't allow for either that, or for lessons, so I contented myself with hounding my few friends who had horses and admiring them from afar. I remember as a kid I had every horse on the way to my grandparents house memorized--it was a 45 minute drive, and there were more than a few to remember.

So, this is kind of a prover for 'patience conquers all.' Took about two decades longer than my child-self would have preferred, but perhaps better in the long run.

As a side note: she's only four. She was 'green broke' when I got her, meaning: she knows what a saddle feels like, has had someone on her a few times, and doesn't buck people off--usually. I kind of had a feeling it would be either really cool to train my own horse, or I'd end up in the hospital. I think I lucked out, because no hospital yet, though there's been a few fireworks along the way.

She's a stubborn, expensive little beast, but I love her.

Technical details: Ballpoint pen on the back of a fly-mask box (didn't have any paper with me at the time) That nifty background you see is from This lovely artist.

1 comment:

Kimberli Johnson said...

Char is so cute! you really captured her with your little pen sketch! Looks great! I need to come visit Char again sometime soon!